Monday, August 22, 2011

Going for a Walk

Back in college, I used to say “Let's go for a walk” when I knew a friend was silently facing something painful or difficult. We would walk outside, usually in the dark, and naturally walk toward the small town's big lake. Our steps would move us forward but it wasn't until the moment felt right did the talking begin. Many dark thoughts, confessions and even anger came out into the light of the night. The walks often led us to “my swing” by the side of the lake. Often unseen, but always felt by me, was the enormity of the bluffs standing nearby and the brightness of the stars overhead. Almost always, the walks ended with some kind of epiphany or understanding. We walked home with a feeling of hope.

Now, as a mother of two small children, I once again want to capture a little of that clarity my younger self was treated to. The “something” I am facing now is that I don't want to be in the dark anymore. Maybe it is the parent in me that makes me question more than I used to. I don't know. But, why do illnesses such as cancer and autism seem to be everywhere? What is really in the food and does it have to be there? Are the harsh chemicals in cleaning supplies causing more damage than good? I honestly don't have the answers, but I do find myself once again turning to nature to find them. This blog is simply my new way of “going for a walk.”

3 comments:

  1. "My younger self." Seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago. I look forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I know how you feel, cancer and autism scare me, and I worry about it constantly. I wish there was a known cause and treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I remember these walks! The food system in this country is very messed up and the more you learn, then more frightening is becomes. There are ways to get out from underneath it.

    ReplyDelete